Stockly.com Forums  

Go Back   Stockly.com Forums > Altair 8800 > Altair 8800

Notices

Old 12-07-2007, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Default New 18 Slot Motherboard / Upgrade

I decided not to make a "new" motherboard design but made a replica of an old motherboard. Let me know what you think!

This motherboard upgrade is available to kit owners for:

$400 - 18 slots + PCB kit
$320 - 18 slots + PCB kit with exchange of your good condition 4 slot motherboard
$250 - 8 of 18 slots + PCB kit (gives you an "8 slot" motherboard with the ability to add more slots later)
$170 - 8 of 18 slots + PCB kit with exchange of your good condition 4 slot motherboard

10 slots may be bought from DigiKey at a later date if you choose. (10 is the minimum order quantity)

I'm selling these at cost for you guys... The slots are $15 a piece and the PCBs aren't cheap! Its a 11x12" board and 1/8" thick.

This motherboard is the same thickness and made out of the same material as the 4 slot motherboard, except it has a solder mask on the bottom. (that is what makes it look different from the top) The vintage 18 slot motherboard had one, so I decided to keep it. It will make it easier to solder.

I also made all of the wiring holes slightly larger to assist in soldering it to the front panel. The 4 slot motherboard had some small holes that made it difficult!!!

This motherboard will allow you to get more slots without the pain of soldering in 100 jumper wires for each additional 4 slots.

Here are the pictures:

And here is a vintage board: (The main difference is the text "Homebrew 2007 and a website address...to keep people from passing it off as a real board).

This one has slots pushed in it because it is getting mailed to Geoff. I promised him it a while ago! Sorry for being late! It just arrived!

Last edited by Grant Stockly; 12-07-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:15 PM

The board looks awesome!

Has anyone ever found a source for the card edge guides?

I have been toying with the idea of trying to produce some by hand using a rubber mold and Urethane casting resin.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Administrator

I found a company that can make the guides for less than $1 a piece after I pay a $3500 tooling and drawing fee.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:51 PM

In that case, I will seriously look into trying to reproduce some. I have some original ones in the kit I just purchased. I'll first try to make an impression mold. If that doesn't work, I'll have to resort to milling a mold. A bit time consuming, but worth not having to shell out $3500.00.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Did you buy the kit off ebay? The $6,800 one?

If you end up making them close enough to the original, I might be able to buy a lot.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:56 PM

Actually the $6801.00 kit. More money than I've ever spent on a computer before and it doesn't even come with a useless copy of Microsoft Windows!

Of course I'm still hoping to get my hands on one of those fantastic Altair 8800 replica kits I've been hearing so much about
Old 12-08-2007, 12:56 AM
Administrator

Do you plan on building the original kit?

I will e-mail you tonight about my kit. I thought I had replied to your first e-mail!
Old 12-08-2007, 01:57 AM

I'm really on the fence about building the kit. On one hand, don't build it and it's a perfectly preserved piece of computing history. On the other hand, build it and it's a perfectly preserved piece of working computer history. What does everyone think, build or don't build?
Old 12-08-2007, 12:53 PM

don't build!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 01:58 AM

Congratulations Mardy!

I followed the auction closely and am happy you won. Although I didn't bid as I had just recently placed my order with Grant for a kit, I was very tempted. I couldn't decide if I were to win it whether or not I would have built the kit. It was amazing to look at the pictures of all the bagged goodies.

As other posters have said, the value and rarity of having the kit unbuilt is breathtaking, I think it would be neat if it could be displayed in its original form as a work of art, instead of relegating it to the closet or a safety deposit box only to be opened and gazed at once in a while.

On the other hand, perhaps like winning a very expensive bottle of wine at auction, it was originally meant to be consumed, and I imagine many people do so, as a celebration of the historical significance of the wine and to share an event with friends, not necessarily for its corked flavor or alchohol content.

For me, purchasing a kit from Grant to build instead of buying one already built on eBay is a no brainer. I believe the joy and memories of building my kit will far outlast any utility or use I find for it. Long after I stop 'playing' with it, I am sure I will keep it proudly displayed on my office desk, next to my work computer.

I support either decision you make, I am very happy to see you here and to have the pleasure of congratulating you personally.

Sincerely,

Craig Rogers