Stockly.com Forums  

Go Back   Stockly.com Forums > Kenbak-1 Series 2 > Kenbak-1

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 12:19 PM

Default Mini minor update to the Kembak-1 Emulator

There isn't realy any significant changes. The only differences are:

1. Removed one unnecessary stack-related op-code (and it's counterpart, saved 2 bytes).
2. Changed two other bytes to get the cursor to hide compleetely when running from DOS.
3. Added to the readme a correct processor speed for optimal speed.
4. Added to the readme that running the emulator in fullscreen is better than running in a window.

In other news. I have tested it on my old PC/XT (4,77 MHz). It runs fine, however, pretty slow, and if I turn on the memory dumping feautre, one "frame" (instruction) takes more than 1/18.2 seconds, so an extra delay is kindof being added.

Feel free to distribute it on the internett, share it, ech... as long as you don't remove my name from it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KenbakEm.zip (14.6 KB, 2916 views)

Last edited by Per; 10-07-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:31 PM

Just making a note on why I made the save/load functions not work in DOS 1.0 (choosed DOS 2.0+ support instead of DOS 1.0+ support): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_control_block

Confusing, 'eh?

Quote:
In CP/M and MS-DOS 1 (which did not include support for directories), the FCB was the only method of accessing files. When directories were introduced in MS-DOS 2, FCBs were superseded by file handles (what is what I use in the emulator).

FCBs were supported in all versions of MS-DOS and Windows until the introduction of the FAT32 filesystem. Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows Me do not support the use of FCBs on FAT32 drives, except to read the volume label. This caused some old DOS applications, including Wordstar, to fail under these versions of Windows.

Last edited by Per; 10-20-2008 at 07:38 PM.