Stockly.com Forums  

Go Back   Stockly.com Forums > Altair 8800 > Altair 8800

Notices

Old 08-23-2009, 06:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to TomL_12953 Send a message via MSN to TomL_12953 Send a message via Yahoo to TomL_12953 Send a message via Skype™ to TomL_12953
Default Loading BASIC With Tera Term

For those using Tera Term on a PC as a terminal to their Altair: I've found that sending the .tap images of the BASIC interpreter to the Altair is much more reliable when I increase the Transmit delay (in Serial Port setup) to 300 msec/line. If you've been having problems getting BASIC to load without checksum errors, try playing around with the character and line delay parameters. Of course I wouldn't have to do this if Grant sent me the ACR board and tapes!

Tom Lake
Old 08-23-2009, 07:23 PM

Talking Loading Basic

Hi Tom and All;
I am wondering What Baud Rate are you using , Tom ? The Last time I used to load up Basic, once I got the BUGGS worked out, I didn't have any trouble, I was sending at (If I remember right) 4800 Baud, with no character delays, but If it Helps I will have to try it.... You know that if you go back to Tape you will be STUCK at 300 Baud, Unless you use a different tape interface, like the Sudding tape system that went at 1100 Baud.... Or a Meca Alpha 1 that had higher tape rates, I don't know what the transfer rate was , But it loaded an operating system in seconds, If I remember right.... I hope someday to get it going again... Then of course there is Disk Systems....
Also I am Wondering What All you have as a system, what all is in it ? You can send me a private note if you like , rather than post out in the open...
THANK YOU Marty
Old 08-23-2009, 08:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to TomL_12953 Send a message via MSN to TomL_12953 Send a message via Yahoo to TomL_12953 Send a message via Skype™ to TomL_12953

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty View Post
Hi Tom and All;
I am wondering What Baud Rate are you using , Tom ? The Last time I used to load up Basic, once I got the BUGGS worked out, I didn't have any trouble, I was sending at (If I remember right) 4800 Baud, with no character delays, but If it Helps I will have to try it.... You know that if you go back to Tape you will be STUCK at 300 Baud, Unless you use a different tape interface, like the Sudding tape system that went at 1100 Baud.... Or a Meca Alpha 1 that had higher tape rates, I don't know what the transfer rate was , But it loaded an operating system in seconds, If I remember right.... I hope someday to get it going again... Then of course there is Disk Systems....
Also I am Wondering What All you have as a system, what all is in it ? You can send me a private note if you like , rather than post out in the open...
THANK YOU Marty
No secrets here! I have a Stockly Replica with a 2SIO, CompuPro RAM 17 64K static RAM card, 2K EPROM board. I'm using port 1 of the 2SIO at 110 baud so I can use it with my ASR-33 Teletype once I get the ACR. I *REALLY* don't want to load over 16000 characters of Extended BASIC (with checksums, etc) at 110 baud but 300 baud is OK by me. If I use a different cassette board, it won't be compatible with MITS tapes. As for trying different delays, if you're having no problems, don't bother! You're fine!
Thanks for the reply.

Tom L
Old 08-23-2009, 09:27 PM

Talking Loading Basic

Hi Tom;
THANK YOU for your prompt reply !!!! I have a ComuPro Ram 16, but I have not had it working, But I have a Tanner 64K , with Selectable upper Ram Dis-able, and I can switch off at E000, E800, F000, or F800. and I can also switch for Phantom.... I had to Cut the Traces at pins 20 and 70 as they were tied to ground.... But other than that I like the Board and it has been no problem.... THANK YOU Marty
Old 08-24-2009, 07:05 PM

Hi Tom,

This is great news. How do you have the 2SIO board set up (which port is RS-232 and which is current loop? I'm assuming you load basic via RS-232 and then switch the system somehow so the teletype (current loop) becomes the console? How do you switch from one to the other?

I never got this to work, but really would like to try it.

Paul
Old 08-25-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phe View Post
Hi Tom,

This is great news. How do you have the 2SIO board set up (which port is RS-232 and which is current loop? I'm assuming you load basic via RS-232 and then switch the system somehow so the teletype (current loop) becomes the console? How do you switch from one to the other?

I never got this to work, but really would like to try it.

Paul
Originally I had Geoff set up the board for port 1 being TTY and port 2 being RS-232 but port 1 never worked right. I had him convert it to RS-232 as well and now use a B&B Electronics Serial to Current Loop converter. It works perfectly. After BASIC is loaded from Tera term, I just unplug cable from port 1 on the back of the Altair (the one that connects the Altair to the PC) and replace it with one connecting the Altair to the Teletype (still at 110 baud). The Altair never even knows a switch has been made and from then on all I/O is done with the ASR-33. This is a temporary measure until Grant can get the ACR cassette board set finished. Then I can leave the TTY connected and load BASIC from cassette.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:48 AM

Very good! Which converter did you buy? It seems they have several, so a recommendation would be most helpful.

An ACR cassette from Grant would immediately be on the top of my buy list.

Paul
Old 08-25-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Very good! Which converter did you buy? It seems they have several, so a recommendation would be most helpful.

An ACR cassette from Grant would immediately be on the top of my buy list.

Paul
I have the 232CL9R. It's quite easy to hook up (for me to be able to use it, it would HAVE to be!) Make sure you get a 12v power supply, too since the loops are passive (need external power) You don't need TWO, though. The bottom one in the diagram is unnecessary. The connection diagram for their whole line can be found here:

http://www.bb-elec.com/tech_articles..._converter.asp

Use Figure 7: 232CL9R Active Converter - Passive Device

I also need a null modem adapter since the only 25 pin Male to 9 pin Male cable I can find requires it. If you wire your own cable, of course, you can eliminate the need for the null modem adapter.

I have no connection with the company other then being a satisfied customer.

Tom Lake

Last edited by TomL_12953; 08-25-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added the note about not needing second 12v supply
Old 08-28-2009, 10:09 AM

Outstanding. Thanks, Tom. You know... I'm still going to try to get my current loops setup working. Now that we know the problem may have been the diodes, I can fix that and try again.

Tom, how far did you get? I suppose you set the 2SIO board to address 20. You mentioned that you put the teletype on port 1. So that means the PC was on port 0? Which order did you have these two?

Then, did you (would you) have to do anything for basic to recognize the teletype on port 1 and use it as the console? How does basic know that the "console" is now at address 22?

Paul
Old 08-28-2009, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Loading BASIC With Tera Term

Quote:
Tom, how far did you get? I suppose you set the 2SIO board to address 20. You mentioned that you put the teletype on port 1. So that means the PC was on port 0? Which order did you have these two?
Paul
Oops! There's a difference in terminology here! I sometimes refer to the two ports on the 2SIO as Port 1 and Port 2 rather than Port 0 and Port 1 so my Port 1 would be your Port 0! OK, so I'm inconsistent. This means that I didn't have to change BASIC to access other than its default port. I have been helped so much on this and other forums (fora?) that I'm glad to offer any help I can back to the Altair community. My experience is being gained by trial-and-error (a LOT of trial and even more error!) so feel free to ask me for any help you might need. If I don't know the answer, I'll cheerfully make one up