Stockly.com Forums  

Go Back   Stockly.com Forums > Altair 8800 > Altair 8800

Notices

Old 02-07-2009, 08:40 PM

I have a tape image of ALTAIR BASIC 5.0 [14JUL78] [DISK EXTENDED VERSION], I don't remember where I got it from, and it starts at 0000h. It's not a straight binary image, it needs to be loaded with a standard Altair tape boot loader, either the MBL running from a PROM, or one toggled in on the front panel. If you don't have MBL, you have to be sure to use the correct first stage loader for your tape. In either case, you have to set the sense switches correctly to tell the loader and Basic which terminal device to use. Let me know if you don't have a copy of the first stage loader and the switch settings, I can probably dig them out of my manuals.

Geoff.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:35 PM

Talking basic

Hi Geoff;
Thank You for your Prompt reply. I have the first stage loader, both of them , one for the 4K Basic and the other for 8K and 12K Basic and the correct settings for the Switches. What I Don't have is a listing for the MBL Eprom. Once I have a listing I can Put it into 25(27)08 or a 25(27)16 Eprom. and put it into my machine.. I have a (I Think) a SSM PB-1 Eprom Porgrammer for the 2708 or the 2716 Eproms and a prolog M-980 for the 2516 Eproms. Just don't have a listing, I also have a 1702 Eprom card, just for reading not writing on an S-100 Buss Card.
THANK YOU Marty
Old 02-08-2009, 10:59 PM

Grant posted a hex dump of MBL some time ago in the files section of the Yahoo altaircomputerclub. I recently disassembled that back to source and added some comments. Take a look at:

www.solivant.com/altair_bootloaders/misc/mbl.asm

I use the spasm assembler so you may have to make some minor syntax changes if you use another one. I used it recently to load tapes of different vintages and it works great. You do have to play some games with the sense switches if you're loading something older than Basic 4.0 (see the comments in the file), but it's still much better than toggling in a loader every time.

Geoff.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:26 PM

Talking Basic

Hi Geoff;
THANK YOU !!!!!!!!! THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!! This is Just what I needed, it will be a little while before I have the time to put it into an Eprom, But, at least I have something to work with... THANKS AGAIN Marty
Old 02-09-2009, 05:22 AM
Administrator

That is GREAT work Geoff! How long did it take you to do that one?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:05 AM

Talking Mbl

Hi Geoff;
I have the program Hand Dissassembled.. And am wondering if I could get the link for the Hex or Octal listing , to compare it with. I am using my BugBook III, for 8080 op codes and Hex and Octal numbers. I also have the other Bug Books ( I thru VI, except IV which was never made) THANK YOU AGAIN Marty
Old 02-09-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Stockly View Post
That is GREAT work Geoff! How long did it take you to do that one?
Not too long, less than a day. It helped that I had previously done the same thing to the 2nd stage tape loader and about half of the MBL is taken directly from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty View Post
I have the program Hand Dissassembled.. And am wondering if I could get the link for the Hex or Octal listing , to compare it with.
Sorry, Marty, I haven't had my coffee yet and I don't quite follow that. If you need the original hex dump that I used that's in groups.yahoo.com/group/altaircomputerclub under Files->EPROMs. You may have to join the group to access the Files section if you're not already a member. It's worth joining anyway even if you don't want access to that file.

What are you disassembling? If you need me to assemble MBL for a particular address, I'll be glad to do that and send you the resulting binary.

Geoff.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:03 PM

Talking Mbl

Hi Geoff;
I used the wrong word, that can happen late at night, when up and still half asleep, and trying to get back to sleep, by doing something for a short time. I assembled it by hand. I don't have an assembler for the 8080 except for listings for some of my machines. I have one which I like for my Digital Group machine, which I would like to put on my Altair, but I also would have to also transfer the whole operating system, which I want to do, (but would need to transfer the I/O from Digital Group to Altair I/O) but don't have enough experience to do so with 8080 op code , yet. The operating system is called ICOSE and was written for the Digital Group Machine, but not by them. I also have two assemblers for the 8080 by Scelbi. (I Think)
THANK YOU Marty
Old 02-22-2009, 02:28 PM

Talking putting parts in

Hi to all;
When assembling the circuit boards, I would recemend going from short height to higher, in other words I would put in the jumpers, then caps , then the resistors, then the sockets and so forth. not as the manual shows the other way around. they are easier to put in and solder that way also....
good luck to all... Thanks Marty