Stockly.com Forums  

Go Back   Stockly.com Forums > Altair 8800 > Altair 8800

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 03:17 PM

Default KITS Still available?

I wanted to buy a kit in the beginning when Grant first started the replica's, but there were no funds available.

Now that things are looking up, I may be able to buy one in late August.

Are there still any available? I am debating between the Altair 8800,

and the 6800 kit.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Administrator

There are a few kits of each left. I will be able to sell them in the middle of August to September...or as early as two weeks.

I personally don't plan on making any more after that, however there are a few individuals that may want to do it for me.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:49 AM

Grant,

I just sent you a PM as well. I would really like to get on the list for one of these units. I finally have the cash ready.
Thanks,
Brian
Old 06-24-2010, 02:21 PM

Default bugman

Hi Brian;
What is the signifiance of Bugman ??? Is it that you work with Bugs or insects in some way ????? Or do you Collect or have VW Bugs ????
THANK YOU Marty
Old 06-24-2010, 04:58 PM

I have a Microbiology degree and work in the Microbiology Department of a Pharmaceutical Company. Hense "bugs"
Old 06-24-2010, 06:37 PM

Grant,

do you have any Altair S-100 buss boards available. I need a few more slots in my Altair.

Lionel...
Old 07-08-2010, 01:52 PM

Grant, I am very interested in buying an Altair 8800 kit, I understand you may stop producing them after a while. I sent an email the other day but I don't think it went through, will I be able to purchase a kit and have it shipped to the UK? (I will obviously pay for the shipping)

I am also not aware of the price of these kits, what kind of figures?

Thanks for your time, I'd love to hear back

Last edited by Grant Stockly; 08-31-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:55 PM

Default Kit Availability

You probably will not hear back from anyone regarding Altair 8800 kits. Either they are no longer available or the folks who offered to sell "a few left" or planned to make more kits no longer have an interest in doing so. I've found a couple of variations of the Altair 8800. One is someone (do a google on Altair) who offers a version that has the front panel copied just like the original Altair 8800 but interfaced with a PC that emulates the Altair. A new source is an emulated Altair 8800 (called the micro Altair 8800) by Briel computers. As I understand it the micro has a small foot print, the front panel is laid out and switch functions are the same as an Altair 8800, uses a motherboard that is not S100 capable, has PS2, VGA ports, an SD card interface, has its own Basic, etc. There may be a 3rd kit source that is a copy of the original kit (I've heard) but I'm unable to locate the source.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchucko View Post
You probably will not hear back from anyone regarding Altair 8800 kits. Either they are no longer available or the folks who offered to sell "a few left" or planned to make more kits no longer have an interest in doing so. I've found a couple of variations of the Altair 8800. One is someone (do a google on Altair) who offers a version that has the front panel copied just like the original Altair 8800 but interfaced with a PC that emulates the Altair. A new source is an emulated Altair 8800 (called the micro Altair 8800) by Briel computers. As I understand it the micro has a small foot print, the front panel is laid out and switch functions are the same as an Altair 8800, uses a motherboard that is not S100 capable, has PS2, VGA ports, an SD card interface, has its own Basic, etc. There may be a 3rd kit source that is a copy of the original kit (I've heard) but I'm unable to locate the source.
Thanks for the quick and useful reply

For the second source, by emulator do you mean it needs to connect to a PC to work, or can you use it standalone as the original, and the VGA ports and such are just optional extras if you wish to have a display or any addon cards?

I'm looking at the briel website now and the apple i looks like a very tempting kit to try out

Last edited by Grant Stockly; 08-31-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:00 PM

The Micro Altair 8800 looks to be a standalone machine, no PC or other support hardware needed. Both the VGA an PS/2 ports are standard as is the SD card slot. I understand the SD slot is used for firmware upgrades(?) and data storage? There is a YouTube demo that shows the terminal and keyboard hooked to the micro Altair 8800. I believe the unit comes with 24k of memory...not sure of that or if it is upgradeable. I guess the bottom line on the computer is it functions and "feels" just like a Altair 8800 (operator/user) but the hardware is totally different. I also understand the same source may develop a standard sized unit but not sure if it uses the same "guts" as the micro and if it will have an S100 bus. Oh, did I mention the Micro Altair 8800 is a kit? I'm thinking about purchasing one but will wait until I get more info.