Stockly.com Forums  

Go Back   Stockly.com Forums > Kenbak-1 Series 2 > Kenbak-1

Notices

Old 07-16-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Are you shipping yet?

Hi Folks!

I've been following the kenbakkit website since seeing a web link about it, and really would like to get one (I should be able to scrounge up the funds.) I wasn't initially in a big rush, as the web site suggested they weren't even shipping until July, so I've been procrastinating, probably until a notice saying "only 5 kits left." But since the web site seems quite out of date, I suspect maybe they are already running out.

So are the kenbak kits shipping yet? If not, do you have an estimated time of delivery? Is it expensive to get them shipped from Alaska? Would they take extra time to get "signed" by John Blankenbaker? Where would the signature be, on the front panel or inconspicuously on the back or sides or top, or inside?

Okay, that's a lot of questions. Maybe you could just give a price and estimate for:
One kenbak series 2 kit, signed by the inventor, with regular black/white switches, silent switches (not clicky-tactile) and with the LED lamps not Incandescent (I like the incandescents, but worry they will burn out frequently, and worry they don't look too authentic.) How long would this take to ship? Is a money order okay? I'd need the whole price, along with shipping.

It seems like you have a lot on your plate with the Altair kit, the Altair 680, and the Kenbak-1, but I was hoping you could update the Kenbakkit web site. I think 3 weeks ago you said you would post new pictures later in the week. I've been patiently watching, eager to see more. I'd love to see the circuit board and the insides, to get an idea how hard it would be to build one of these, and how long it will take me to put it together.

- Steven.

Last edited by Grant Stockly; 09-10-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappellanus View Post
Hi Folks!

I've been following the kenbakkit website since seeing a web link about it, and really would like to get one (I should be able to scrounge up the funds.) I wasn't initially in a big rush, as the web site suggested they weren't even shipping until July, so I've been procrastinating, probably until a notice saying "only 5 kits left." But since the web site seems quite out of date, I suspect maybe they are already running out.
Thats good to know. I'll have to update the website to say 5 left.

There are plenty left for now. I'll put you on the list.

Quote:
So are the kenbak kits shipping yet? If not, do you have an estimated time of delivery? Is it expensive to get them shipped from Alaska? Would they take extra time to get "signed" by John Blankenbaker? Where would the signature be, on the front panel or inconspicuously on the back or sides or top, or inside?
The kits have not started shipping yet. Its not too expensive from Alaska. USPS Priority mail is pretty cheap. I think we pay the same rates as in the lower 48. FedEx and UPS are a little higher.

The signature could be on the front panel, or the back panel, and on either side. Do you know where you would want it if at all?

The kits with a signature from John would be shipping first week in August. I'm a little behind schedule because of extra work on the manual, but it will be worth it.

Quote:
Okay, that's a lot of questions. Maybe you could just give a price and estimate for:
One kenbak series 2 kit, signed by the inventor, with regular black/white switches, silent switches (not clicky-tactile) and with the LED lamps not Incandescent (I like the incandescents, but worry they will burn out frequently, and worry they don't look too authentic.) How long would this take to ship? Is a money order okay? I'd need the whole price, along with shipping.
Shipping will be somewhere around $35-$40. I don't know exactly yet. The incandescent lamps really won't burn out often unless you leave it on 24-7. Getting LEDs would subtract $75 from the total. I have a goal of being ready to ship in 2 weeks, getting a signature from John would take approximately a week longer. Money orders are fine.

Quote:
It seems like you have a lot on your plate with the Altair kit, the Altair 680, and the Kenbak-1, but I was hoping you could update the Kenbakkit web site. I think 3 weeks ago you said you would post new pictures later in the week. I've been patiently watching, eager to see more. I'd love to see the circuit board and the insides, to get an idea how hard it would be to build one of these, and how long it will take me to put it together.
- Steven.
Yes. When assembling the case I accidentally used a metric instead of inch hex driver and stripped out one of the set screws holding the case together. I finally got it out last week but was onto something else.

Its my goal to have the website updated this week.

Grant
Old 07-17-2007, 02:12 AM

Okay, put me down for a kit, but maybe I should wait until I see pictures to decide if I want LEDs or incandescents. I think a signature on the front panel may look a little "hokey", but a signature on the back, or top, or bottom may be nice. I think if it was a graphically laid out well positioned signature, that may be good for the front panel, but somehow I imagine it may not be so "professionally" positioned, and make the front panel look funny. Not sure. I do think the "smooth" switches would be more of an authentic experience than the "clickety" buttons, but I suspect rapid program entry would be fastest with clickety buttons.

But I suppose it would be easiest for you just to ship the front panels to him, rather than the large heavy cases. Don't know. What do other builders want? I guess the easiest, and most popular idea, would be to sign on the front panel, bottom left side.

Oh well, put me down for one, details about options to be worked out later. See what other builders want/suggest.

- Steven

Last edited by Grant Stockly; 09-10-2012 at 09:22 PM.