Stockly.com Forums  

Go Back   Stockly.com Forums > Altair 8800 > Altair 8800

Notices

Old 12-27-2006, 08:36 PM

Default TTY Teletype, what would it take to make it work?

I plan to buy an Altairkit some time early next year. What would take to make a TTY teletype work with it? For example a unit such as this ? I'd like to use with Altair basic or even a simple machine language monitor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AN-UGC-129-V-1-R...QQcmdZViewItem

As a side note I am nearing completion on a GR104C heathkit b & w Television kit, I think it would rock to have a modified heathkit tv used as a terminal with the Altair.

Thanks,

Nicky
Old 12-27-2006, 09:57 PM

Default Interfacing a TTY

Nearly all of the older TeleType (brand name) machines along with their clones used a serial 20 mA current loop interface and Baudot (5 bit) (later ASCII 8 bit) coding. It was quite common in the Old Days for micro hobbyists to interface with these; a serial I/O port and a converter circuit was used. A little research is needed to determine details of the 20 mA conversion, as I've forgotten.

The Baudot code worked by having two character sets, Letters and Numbers. Each had thirty codes along with a Letter Shift and a Number Shift code. These latter two codes would put the receiver into Letter or Number mode respectively. And that's why you've never seen lower case letters in a Western Union Telegram. It's not a good idea to use Baudot code for programming, as you can guess.

Later Teletypes had an ASCII option, the long remembered KSR-33 and ASR-33 models were examples and were commonly seen in the Old Days. These 10 CPS units were later supplanted by better models that could support both upper and lower case characters and higher speeds; I remember a 30 CPS unit dating from the late 1970s.

Locating ink ribbons and perhaps paper for any of these could be a problem. Also, they are rather noisy in operation and earlier models were prone to mechanical failure.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to TomL_12953 Send a message via MSN to TomL_12953 Send a message via Yahoo to TomL_12953 Send a message via Skype™ to TomL_12953
Default Using a Teletype With Altair

The Altair 88-2SIO 2 Port Serial Card has jumpers that change each serial port independently from RS-232 serial to 20mA Current Loop which is what older Teletypes (such as the wildly popular ASR 33) use. The newer Teletype 43 uses RS-232 serial.

Last edited by TomL_12953; 01-31-2007 at 02:58 PM.