Stockly.com Forums  

Go Back   Stockly.com Forums > Altair 8800 > Altair 8800

Notices

Old 06-05-2007, 04:11 AM

Smile Morrow 8" Floppy Drives for Altair

Hi, Altair fans.

I have 4 Morrow 8" full-height floppy drives (Shugarts, I think, in 4 separate powered enclosures) that are daisy chained as A:, B:, C: and D: drives. These were working until I put them on the shelf. If anyone wants them, please post here. I am probably going to put them on eBay with a reserve in a few weeks to see what they are really worth. $1000's?

I also have a CCS S-100 computer with a Cromemco 2810 Z-80 CPU board, a Cromemco 2065 64K memory board, a Cromemco Tu-Art serial/parallel I/O board and a Morrow Disk Jockey floppy controller that has a boot ROM. All this stuff is in mint condition. No longer have a terminal so I can't test. Anyone have a terminal emulator so I can hook up a PC instead?

In 1998, I was the winner of Dell's "Search for the Oldest PC" contest. Yes, I really did--do a Google search. They made me donate my other S-100 machine, an Altair 8800B (my first baby and true friend) to the Computer Museum of America in San Diego. I got $15,000 in new equipment from Dell and a free trip to San DIego to be on TV, etc.... Ah, those were the days. Things were simple and you were just happy to see things were working doing simple word processing using WordStar 1.0 and programming simple games using CP/M and CBASIC, not MS-DOS and Microsoft Basic. I miss my program that made the Altair's front panel display lights scroll continously back and forth left and right. Impressed my friends to no end.

Tossed out my multi-user Molecular in the early 90's. Anybody remember that one? One box with separate Z-80 CPU cards (I think) for each user and a shared common 10MB hard drive.

Regards, John
Old 06-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Administrator

I think the drives are realistically worth $500? To the right person. You might get $1000 to $1500 if you sold the drives and computer as a guaranteed turnkey system.