Stockly.com Forums  

Go Back   Stockly.com Forums > Altair 8800 > Altair 8800

Notices

Old 07-15-2007, 05:35 AM

Default larger motherboards

I have several old Morrow backplanes of varying sizes. How would I go about using one of these in addition to or in place of the stock 4-slot backplane?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Just wire 1-1, 2-2, ... , 100-100 and you'll be fine.

Use short wires, and make them all the same length. I have a set of pictures for installing a second/third/etc motherboard in the Altair. I'll upload them soon.

Grant
Old 07-15-2007, 11:40 AM

Talking motherboard

Hi;
IN the Altair 8800b and in the IMSAI the Motherboard faced the other direction, So I am not sure that you can make it work, But HEY, give it a try. Especially if you have an 18-20 slot board. Also you might have to either pull the first slot connector out to have holes to put the wires in or use a Blank S-100 board to wire them to and plug it in the first slot.
THANKS Marty
Old 07-27-2007, 05:00 PM

Location: I am currently in Clinton Township Michigan, which is a little North & West of the Motor City
Wink Correction...

The Altair 8800, 8800a 8800b, and 8800bt mother boards all have the same orientation, slots running right to left. The IMSAI and others like Compupro, had mother boards running front to back, and actually had a card cage, whereas the Altair's used individual card guides attached to the mother board.

The only downside to using a non-Altair mother board for expansion, is that there are no provisions for attaching the card guides.

Just Bob!
Old 10-07-2007, 08:43 PM

I suppose one could rig up a card cage by running some rails crossways as appropriate. Also, s100 busses tended to ring, especially when long. This can be fixed on the far end of the bus with a terminator card. It doesn't seem clear how to do this with the primary motherboard on the Altair. Perhaps could this be addressed by running the front panel wires not to a motherboard, but to another card which has proper terminator resistors?