Stockly.com Forums  

Go Back   Stockly.com Forums > Misc > Chit Chat

Notices

Old 12-04-2008, 02:59 AM
Administrator

Default Backup

Remember to backup anything that you don't want to loose! And never store the backup in the same location as the original!

I just lost my main working hard drive containing 200GB+ of Altair 680/8800 and Kenbak kit files. I came home from work and the case was practically melting! It was so hot that after I disassembled the case I burnt my hand on the metal of the hard drive. This is one of those vented but not fan cooled external hard drive enclosures from western digital.

What had happened is the power supply died. The hard drive would try to spin up, the power supply would fold back, and the hard drive would somewhat spin down. This process must have been going for hours. The high current motor start process heated the hard drive up a ton!

No worries about the kits though! I had a current backup. Now that I have actually "lost" a drive with such important data, one backup isn't good enough. I found myself crossing my fingers hoping the backup was good. It took 9 hours to copy and verify all of the files, so I had a hard time sleeping last night thinking about it!
Old 12-04-2008, 12:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to TomL_12953 Send a message via MSN to TomL_12953 Send a message via Yahoo to TomL_12953 Send a message via Skype™ to TomL_12953
Default Lost Data

Just in case, how about putting the WAV files of the Altair cassettes on your site? That way all that data would be backed up by all of us and available to you with a simple email! BTW what cassettes do you have WAV files for? Do you have the facility to take a tape image from the Altair32 emulator and creating a WAV file that can be copied to a real cassette or do you have the MITS cassettes themselves? If you have a means for creating real tapes from .tap files, how about sharing the software?

Last edited by TomL_12953; 12-04-2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Misread original message.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:54 AM
Administrator

I have cassettes, but I have not tested them yet.

A working Altair cassette board would be able to take the .tap data and turn it into audio using a program that reads a byte from the card and then outputs it back to the card.