Stockly.com Forums  

Go Back   Stockly.com Forums > Altair 8800 > Altair 8800

Notices

Old 01-31-2016, 10:32 PM

Talking What do you plan on doing with your 8800 kit?

I mean beyond assembling it, ofcourse!

I'm already eagerly dreaming of getting it operational and learning to add peripherals to it over time, such as a monitor and keyboard, floppy disk drives, and whatever else. But I don't plan on stopping there. I want to eventually learn how to design and build my own prototype cards.

Years ago in college I had learned how to make basic IC-based circuits and even did assembly language programming in computer science classes, and found both to be fun. But it's been so long I've forgotten it all and would have to re-learn from scratch.

I realize it would be a long-term project to learn how to do that, but in my mind it would be much more feasible to learn how to do it on an Altair than it would be a more complex later architecture, such as 8086/88 or 286.

I've even been keeping notes of what kinda of cards I'd want to produce. I'm already having so much fun without actually having the kit yet! I just hope I can save the cash up for the purchase by this summer. I'm in Canada so it looks like I'd have to save up an extra 40% just to make up for my lousy dollar this year.

So I'd like to know, what do you plan on using your Altair for? Do you have it for show or do you put it to work?
Old 02-01-2016, 08:07 AM

Default Hands on Assembly Language

I am going to use mine to learn Assembly Language, I cannot imagine a better machine for it. One where you can physically see what's going on inside the machine (: