Stockly.com Forums  

Go Back   Stockly.com Forums > Altair 8800 > Altair 8800

Notices

Old 01-24-2007, 02:27 AM

Default Offer to build your kit.

Hi. I would like to offer to build anyone's kit in case they don't want to.
PLEASE don't hammer me for making the offer. No, I'm not going to cheat you. Some R/C hobbyists like to build aircraft, others to fly. I guarantee a _very_ clean build and of course a working machine. If anyone would like this offer we can work out the details. R. Findlay
Old 01-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Administrator

This is something I think some people would like. I'm not sure how many you will want to do. It takes quite a bit of time!

Are you wanting to charge for this or do it for fun? Do you have any examples of previous work?
Old 01-26-2007, 01:41 AM

I will accept the kit builds on a first come basis. This way I can accept them one at a time to see how this works. I can see that the kit will take a good amount of time but that's kind of the point; building any kit is fun, and yours looks to be one I'll never forget. I would not charge anything for doing this.

I've built scores of kits over the past 35 years. Any make, from Heathkit (very easy!), to off brand challenges that took more work to repair the design than they took to build.

I can post photos of kits I've built in addition to some scratch built projects.

Take care.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:04 PM

I suspect most people who buy these kits are in it for the fun of building it rather than just having the finished product on display on a shelf somewhere.

That said, there are true collectors, rather than hobbyists, who might be interested in your proposition. But I suspect those folks might spring a few more bucks and go for an original in the used market.

I do hope you get an opporunity to build one of these. Perhaps it will come from someone who starts a kit and does not have sufficient time to continue it, or skills to build some of the harder boards. I see that as a real possibility.

Paul
Old 01-31-2007, 02:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to TomL_12953 Send a message via MSN to TomL_12953 Send a message via Yahoo to TomL_12953 Send a message via Skype™ to TomL_12953
Default Offer to Build Altair Kits

That's great! How much will you charge? I'd definitely be interested if it's less than buying it already assembled!

Last edited by TomL_12953; 01-31-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Administrator

There are 3 kits left in the current batch of 20. If anyone of you want to get in, now is the time. These are the last kits I'm selling complete. I guess you could call them "White Glove" kits.

The next batch of 20 will not include off the shelf parts available from DigiKey and Mouser.

I will be providing a list of part numbers for DigiKey and Mouser that are exactly what I provide. The cost of these kits will be slightly less because of this. Parts not included will be all resistors, capacitors, IC sockets, diodes, and transistors.

There is the chance that an item will be back ordered and you will not be able to get it in a timely fashion. I will provide you with these few parts for free...

Grant
Old 02-07-2007, 01:27 AM

Default Offer to build your kit.

TomL_12953,

I will build the kit at no charge. I enjoy building and this kit is one that I'd love to do. If you're game, then you'd buy the kit, ship to me, I build, test, make sure it's right and I ship the completed machine to you.

1. I will do a very good job building.

2. I won't cheat you.

3. Time to build is not easy to guess but shouldn't be too long.

Take care.