Stockly.com Forums  

Go Back   Stockly.com Forums > Reactive Micro > PSRAM Area!

Notices

Old 04-22-2008, 12:49 AM
Administrator

It looks a lot like the DigiView (software compression and signal interpretation).

I have the 18 channel version. A 34 channel version came out for $1500 later on. Yours looks very competitively priced.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgjones View Post
So @ 60MHz you don't think the AVR32 would be fast enough to respond?

I havn't worked it out myself ...

I just got the http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/to...p?tool_id=4114 board last week ... no time to goof around with it yet
Just looking at this AVR32 board now and while it's wonderfull they brought out all the i/o onto two rows down the side of the PCB but did they have to make the spacing so frickin small? for want of another .5" of PCB they could have had a nice area to attach a standard breakout header.....

What are these people thinking of when they make these things?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:53 PM

I am not sure if this is the norm in the electronics business but I have been waiting for quotes on a few things now and while it is small volume it really can't be that diffiicult if your setup for this business to give a quote on an assembly job ... do I really want to give my business to anyone that can't get a quote back in a reasonable time frame?
Old 04-23-2008, 02:11 PM

That would make me wonder too. How's that CCElectronx.Com place? I kind of remember them being pretty quick. Only a day or two.

A few of the places I had requested quote from were either super expensive, like $150 per PCB at 25 pieces, or never got back to me. When CCElectronx.Com got back to me AND had a cheap price I jumped on it and sent them some PCBs to see how they worked out.

I had them do a smaller PCB around 4" x 3". It was like $12 each I think. Had both SMT and Through Hole parts too. Most turned out okay. Some had a while film that I had to use a degreasor and a toothbrush to remove, but all in all they turned out okay. Saved me a lot of time. Of course these days I don't have much to do in the shop so I build everything I can. I know there will come a day that it's just not possible any more though and will have to send a lot of things out. So I hope they stick around!

Let me know if you find any other low volume places. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2008, 02:16 PM

He is one of them although it's only been a week maybe but this other guy in Canada .... seems like he is just turning it around and getting quotes from other people ... I thought from his web site he did stuff locally but that seems not to be the case .. I sent him a request quite some time ago - his last response was he was still waiting for more quotes to come in ....
Old 04-23-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgjones View Post
Just looking at this AVR32 board now and while it's wonderfull they brought out all the i/o onto two rows down the side of the PCB but did they have to make the spacing so frickin small? for want of another .5" of PCB they could have had a nice area to attach a standard breakout header.....
Grant any suggestions on patching the 1.27mm x 1.27mm header to something double the size? 2.54 x 2.54?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:20 PM

Glenn: I can't seem to find a pic of that header. Would something like this help: http://www.reactivemicro.com/product...products_id=39
Old 04-23-2008, 09:37 PM

Henry, I need something like a ribbon cable that has 1.27mm x 1.27mm header on one end that goes to a 2.54mm x 2.54mm header on the other end. Not sure if there is such a thing.

I may have to take a 50 pin scsi cable, strip the connector from one end from the cable and just solder the wires to the board directly.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:40 PM

Ok, back to the Forums.

Glenn: Did you ever pricing on this design: http://www.a2retrosystems.com/images...t/breakout.png

PS - Can you make that pic a little larger? ;-) What I may be able to do is if you send me the GERBER files I can 'clean' them up and get some pricing from different places. Am I wrong to think that that is still a two layer PCB? I think I will be able to mount the IC to the PCB. Doing to quick tests with a BGA IC I was able to fully mount it to a piece of sheet copper. Of course I destroyed the IC when I removed it. But the balls all looked like the adhered to the copper very well. Only testing would tell if I baked the IC though. And no PCB, no testing.

Assuming Andon Electronics Corp can produce the Adapters for 16.85ea and it's not some screw up on their side with pricing, which actually I assume it is, then they may be the cheapest solution. If we can get some proto PCBs produced for less then I say we do that, just for testing. At least I will know for sure if I can mount BGAs without damaging the IC. Also the benefit of the PSRAM would really make the added hassle worth it. I also have a call in to Andon Electronics Corp to check the pricing.

[From Glenn's Quote email]
well certainly better then my first quote for mounting services ...
but still .... sheesh - $ 150 to mount one chip - crazy

Very true. That is just nuts.

Anyone having a PCB produced any time soon? Maybe you could add a quick little VFBGA pad area to the PCB that could be cut off so I can experiment with mounting the IC. Just vias would be fine, if possible.

[GRANT]
You guys are still interested in the BGA? I thought that we decided to give up???

I wouldn't say 'give up' entirely. But more keep the options open and see what comes of it. I think we all agree that the PSRAM will be much simpler to work with then a piece of SDRAM. The only disadvantage of the PSRAM is the uncertainty of mounting it.

[GRANT]
I just made a design in Xlinix ISE 8.2 using schematic entry. It works great. There are a few bugs with the schematic entry, but once you learn where NOT to click it works good.

Oh great! It's Win CUPAL all over again?!? I did do a little playing around with 8.2 and the Schematic Entry too. Seems like it would be a bit easier then using HDL entry, at least for me and my needs. Last I heard though they are doing away with Schematic Entry in the next version. May just be rumor though.

[GRANT]
RamWall Invaders! It will be real!

Only you Grant. ;-)

Oh, one last question:
Anyone know were we can get pins? Like those used on the Adapters as legs? No top, just a flat surface for PCB pad mounting? I asked a few places if they would just sell me legs (pins) but they won't. If we make our own adapters, our only other choice are SIP sockets, like I use on my Dual Adapters, or square pins. Any other ideas or options?

Last edited by Reactive; 04-29-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:19 PM

Tried to upload a .PDF. Says "Your file of 56.1 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 19.5 KB for this filetype."

Boo! Hiss!

I'll email it then. :-(