Thread: Test Board
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactive View Post
Ok, back to the Forums.

Glenn: Did you ever pricing on this design: http://www.a2retrosystems.com/images...t/breakout.png
No that was just a quick test ... it has a few issues

1) pad size is 36mil - needs to be 30mil
2) both vcc and gnd traces would not route for some reason so I have to do that manual
3) some of the traces are mixed up as I botched the order and have not gone back and fix it up yet
4) traces are 5mil and clearance was set at 4 mil

So GP pricing would be 99+80/38 = $4.75 a piece

Quote:
PS - Can you make that pic a little larger? ;-)
Didn't want you guys to miss anything

Quote:
What I may be able to do is if you send me the GERBER files I can 'clean' them up and get some pricing from different places. Am I wrong to think that that is still a two layer PCB?
Yup - 2 layer

Quote:
I think I will be able to mount the IC to the PCB. Doing to quick tests with a BGA IC I was able to fully mount it to a piece of sheet copper. Of course I destroyed the IC when I removed it. But the balls all looked like the adhered to the copper very well. Only testing would tell if I baked the IC though. And no PCB, no testing.
Did you use solder paste?

Quote:
Assuming Andon Electronics Corp can produce the Adapters for 16.85ea and it's not some screw up on their side with pricing, which actually I assume it is, then they may be the cheapest solution. If we can get some proto PCBs produced for less then I say we do that, just for testing. At least I will know for sure if I can mount BGAs without damaging the IC. Also the benefit of the PSRAM would really make the added hassle worth it. I also have a call in to Andon Electronics Corp to check the pricing.

[From Glenn's Quote email]
well certainly better then my first quote for mounting services ...
but still .... sheesh - $ 150 to mount one chip - crazy

Very true. That is just nuts..
but the qty pricing is not to bad

Quote:
Anyone having a PCB produced any time soon? Maybe you could add a quick little VFBGA pad area to the PCB that could be cut off so I can experiment with mounting the IC. Just vias would be fine, if possible.

[GRANT]
You guys are still interested in the BGA? I thought that we decided to give up???

I wouldn't say 'give up' entirely. But more keep the options open and see what comes of it. I think we all agree that the PSRAM will be much simpler to work with then a piece of SDRAM. The only disadvantage of the PSRAM is the uncertainty of mounting it.

[GRANT]
I just made a design in Xlinix ISE 8.2 using schematic entry. It works great. There are a few bugs with the schematic entry, but once you learn where NOT to click it works good.

Oh great! It's Win CUPAL all over again?!? I did do a little playing around with 8.2 and the Schematic Entry too. Seems like it would be a bit easier then using HDL entry, at least for me and my needs. Last I heard though they are doing away with Schematic Entry in the next version. May just be rumor though.

[GRANT]
RamWall Invaders! It will be real!

Only you Grant. ;-)

Oh, one last question:
Anyone know were we can get pins? Like those used on the Adapters as legs? No top, just a flat surface for PCB pad mounting? I asked a few places if they would just sell me legs (pins) but they won't. If we make our own adapters, our only other choice are SIP sockets, like I use on my Dual Adapters, or square pins. Any other ideas or options?

Last edited by rgjones; 04-30-2008 at 01:12 AM.