View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 01:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to TomL_12953 Send a message via MSN to TomL_12953 Send a message via Yahoo to TomL_12953 Send a message via Skype™ to TomL_12953

Quote:
Originally Posted by phe View Post
Hi Guys. I did not get my teletype working, but now you have inspired me. Sorry, Tom, but I cannot help you yet but perhaps I can if I get mine working.

My problem is that I do not know if my teletype is current loop or RS-232. Do either of you know how I can figure this out? Are there pin voltage settings I could measure? I've always held off because I did not want to take any chances of frying my 2SIO port or my teletype. Would a wrong (mismatched) connection cause harm?

Paul
You can check it without connecting it to your Altair. Plug in the Teletype to the AC outlet. Turn the Line/Off/Local knob to Line (all the way counterclockwise if you don't have the front aluminum escuheon). If the TTY starts chattering without printing anything, it's 20mA Current Loop. If it stays silent, it's RS-232. Here's another tip: Don't leave the Teletype plugged into the power line when not using it. Even when off, there's a board inside that stays powered on and gets hot enough to scorch the plastic case. It will significantly shorten the life of your unit.

Tom Lake

Last edited by TomL_12953; 07-16-2009 at 01:33 AM.