View Single Post
Old 09-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Administrator

I have sent one PAL (Apple calls them HALs on the Mac boards) to MEFAS. You can find them at http://www.mefas.com

They offer a decapsulation service at only $45 per part with a 2-3 day turnaround. I have sent them the ASG PAL since its the only one I don't have equations for. I have requested the service of decapsulation with cleaning options for photography. This means they don't pay attention to the bond wires and attempt to clean the surface.

Their website describes their decapsulation service as follows.

Quote:
Decapsulation is a technique for exposing the internal components of a package device. There was a time when a hot plate and concentrated nitric acid were capable of decapping integrated devices (IC’s). However, advancements in device packaging introduced new plastic encapsulants and the array of solder bumped external leads package designs. Our jet etching systems are capable of exposing any package die without melting solder bumps, etching bond pads, or destroying external leads. The system sprays high temperature nitric and/or sulfuric acid through a fine diameter nozzle head. By computer control of the temperature, pressure, and time of the etching process a uniform etch cavity is created which exposes the IC.

Of course not all devices need the selectivity of our automatic decapsulator. For these devices we x-ray the device to measure the internal die, cut the proper die cavity in the package, and finally eye drop concentrated nitric acid in the cavity to remove the plastic from the IC.

Once decapped, analyses such as inspection, microprobe, FIB rework, delayering, or even retesting can be accomplished. The device will remain functional.
I liked how they described the entry level procedure... "eye drop concentrated nitric acid in the cavity to remove the plastic from the IC."

Most companies I've found don't go into detail about how they do their service, and wouldn't admit it could be done with a hotplate and eye dropper.