View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 12:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to TomL_12953 Send a message via MSN to TomL_12953 Send a message via Yahoo to TomL_12953 Send a message via Skype™ to TomL_12953

Quote:
Originally Posted by phe View Post
Hi Tom,

This is great news. How do you have the 2SIO board set up (which port is RS-232 and which is current loop? I'm assuming you load basic via RS-232 and then switch the system somehow so the teletype (current loop) becomes the console? How do you switch from one to the other?

I never got this to work, but really would like to try it.

Paul
Originally I had Geoff set up the board for port 1 being TTY and port 2 being RS-232 but port 1 never worked right. I had him convert it to RS-232 as well and now use a B&B Electronics Serial to Current Loop converter. It works perfectly. After BASIC is loaded from Tera term, I just unplug cable from port 1 on the back of the Altair (the one that connects the Altair to the PC) and replace it with one connecting the Altair to the Teletype (still at 110 baud). The Altair never even knows a switch has been made and from then on all I/O is done with the ASR-33. This is a temporary measure until Grant can get the ACR cassette board set finished. Then I can leave the TTY connected and load BASIC from cassette.