View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
From the pictures I see, it looks like some stuff was added to the back panel of the MITS 680. In another picture it appears that these are not connected. Is something planned?
DB9/DB15HD ports for serial/video.
DB25 x 2 for serial/parallel/etc
.25" holes x 2 for cassette tape play/rec
.25" holes x 3 for video/stereo audio
PS/2 x 1 for keyboard

I am working on a small ADM3A terminal emulator. This is based on a $99 FPGA development kit. It would work good to place the FPGA inside the 680 case and have a keyboard / VGA / NTSC connected directly to it. That would make a sleek system!

The stereo audio is there for a future development. They can be used for anything...

Quote:
On another front, is it possible to order the kit WITHOUT the transformers (switching supplies). My idea is to use "proper" supplies (+12, +5, -12) and bypass the regulators. Not exactly a true replica, but I suspect a "cooler" idea. I can get small supplies pretty cheaply at the local surplus store.
Yes. I can sell it without the supplies. It would cut about $60-70 off of the price.

Quote:
I was also wondering how the kit (original/replica) is expanded (or is it at all?)? The limitd amount of memory is a litle difficult. My 6800 box (I built it myself, etc...) has 60k of memory. It works quite nicely (lots of 2147's spread out over memory cards).
I have designed a little board with 32k of SRAM and 32k of bank swapped EEPROM. For the current price the kit comes with that upgrade for free. The EEPROM comes with 2 versions of basic and the assembler/editor.

Also included for no extra cost is VTL-2 on vintage 1702A EPROMs.

These bonus items add an extra $100 of value or so to the kit, and greatly expand what it can do.

Quote:
I guess I just like the front panel. I don't have one on my box.
Front panels are pretty handy... Its easy to see if it has crashed.

I've loved lights all my life. I had my own collection of Christmas lights when I was 6-7. Before that my parents bought me a set of lights powered on a C cell battery.